Thursday, June 21, 2007

Midday Thoughts

Before I go any further, I need to fix a glaring omission from the post I made yesterday. In the list of websites I mentioned that had picked up this blog, I failed to acknowledge the Infendo.com website, which was extremely kind to me and posted an article about this project well before it was picked up by many of the other internet outlets. Because of the fact that none of my close family and friends share the same passion for video games that I do, I realyl wanted someone to read what I was doing. For quite a while I have been going to the Infendo website and listening to their podcast faithfully, and hoping that someone in the Infendo readership would find this interesting, I e-mailed the site. I was so impressed, because within an hour of sending that e-mail, Blake had posted the article I linked to above. Now I'm not sure how the rest of the internet sites caught wind of this blog, but I have a suspicion that it was due in no small part Blake and the kind crew over there at Infendo. I can't thank them enough!

Another item I'd like to get off my chest involves a blog post I read a little while ago. The author mentions the fact that he's sad about the fact that I'm not making correlations between Zelda II and other games in the Zelda series, and to be honest he's absolutely correct. In that spirit, I have a confession to make: I haven't played enough of the Zelda games to truly explore the lore of the Zelda universe. In interest of full disclosure, I've played and completed Zelda, Zelda II, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask. I've played (to varying degrees) Twilight Princess, Wind Waker and Link's Awakening. As I started this journey of playing through and completing all of the Zelda games, I acquired many of the games I didn't currently have (including both Oracle titles, Link to the Past/Four Swords on the GBA, Four Swords for the Cube, and the Ocarina of Time/Master Quest Cube disk), so they would be on hand when I made it to them. One more factor against me right now is that I have little to no recollection of the games I've played, with the pointed exception of the first Zelda.

To make a long story short, I clearly don't have the greatest knowledge of the Zelda lore, and I'm constantly learning more and more about it, both from playing the games but more so from the great people who have commented so far, and continue to do so. It's safe to say now that (if things continue as they are) this will be more of a community effort than I ever dreamed it would be when I started. There are a lot of things I expected and hoped for when thinking about doing this, but the amount of comments and the sheer quality of the comments have blown me away. At risk of sounding like a broken record, thanks again for reading and posting, because you're filling in the blanks that my lack of lore creates.

My intent is to continue to respond to everyone who posted in as personal of a manner as I can (I think it took me over an hour last night to write something to everyone who commented), just to reinforce how much this interaction means to me. One of the commenters, Bryan, made a point to mention how civil, informed and generally friendly everyone has been, and I hope it stays just like that.

Sorry for the rambling, but I wanted to get these things off my chest. To be completely blunt, I'm a bit overwhelmed (and that's an understatement) with the attention this blog has received, so if I seem too polite or accomodating, it's because I want it all to continue. So, until next time, thanks again for your readership, and visit again soon (and leave comments if you feel like it, I read them all)!

No comments:

Post a Comment